Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Happy Birthday to Me

I'm hanging around the house on a rainy birthday and have decided to start a knitting blog.

Right now I'm working on Lucy Neatby's Faeroese Flower Shawl. I'm about a third of the way through. The pattern is well written and has a nice big chart. I'm using Zephyr (50% merino/50% silk) in Suede. The yarn just slides through my fingers and is a joy to work with.



It doesn't look like much yet. The flowers are the central panel and the work has started from the top edge.

One of the difficult things about knitting backward is that the decreases are opposite of what are called for in the instructions (k2tog I work as SSK). Since my stitches sit on the needle "backward" as well it's taken me a long time to figure out how to accomplish decreases.

My mom gave me some money for my birthday which I'm going to use to buy yarn for my next big project. Now the big question is......design my own Norwegian cardigan or a Fair Isle (possibly one from Yarns International). Certainly something with lots of color work - my favorite kind of knitting.

On a lighter note, my birthday present from our cat Murder (yes the other one is named Mayhem) was to pee on my purse. She is now spending the day out in the rain!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Happy happy happy (now belated) birthday!